| 0 comments ]

    I noticed something yesterday while reading Luke 1:18-20.  Something I haven't ever noticed before.

    And Zechariah said to the angel, "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years."  And the angel answered him, "I am Gabriel, I stand in the presence of God, and I was sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news.  And behold, you will be silent and unable to speak until the day that these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their time." (ESV)


    Zechariah doubted that this was really a promise from God. Look at how he argued it- he used logic.  He put his faith in what he knew rather than God.  And because of this, he was punished.

    But I wonder, was if this was a punishment, or more of a harsh lesson, from God.  If you were told God was going to give you a son, and you didn't believe it, and then you were struck mute and told you would stay that way until that baby is born- you would shift your opinion.  No longer would you dismiss it as "maybe I imagined it" or "I prayed to God for years, and now he answers me?  Doubtful."  No! You would be hoping with everything in your being that it is true.  So maybe this wasn't a punishment for doubting, maybe it was a "push in the right direction."


    0 comments

    Post a Comment