| 0 comments ]

    Charlie Waddell is our guest author today, as he was yesterday, talking about his writing process.

    With that said, my creative process (specifically, my writing process) is fairly simple, fairly straightforward. More often than not, I have no idea whatsoever in mind when I decide to post a blog. So how do I get inspired? How do I come up with my posts? Where do these ideas come from? How many ways can you ask the same question? (I have calculated at least four more, though one is a stretch.)

    When venturing to write a blog post, I first create an interesting, conducive environment for my writing. I have blogged from rooftops, Apple stores, pool tables, and bathroom floors. Something about these unconventional environments inspires me to write. I cannot explain this.

    What I can explain is my quotidian blogging environment--a cup of hot, black coffee, a pair of headphones, a playlist conducive to writing, and a Macbook. Give me these four things and a blank page, and I'm ready to blog.
    As far as specific things that inspire me, I am often inspired by relationships--specifically, my own past (and occasionally present) relationships with women. I know this subject is worn and tired, but I find myself revisiting it time and again; not because, I cannot write other things, but because I like to take classic love narratives and look at them from different directions, in new (or at least, rarely utilized) ways. I also find writing publicly about my love life (or lack thereof) to be cleansing and kind of cathartic.

    Lately, I have rarely written about relationships, mostly because I have realized that sentimentality triggers unhappiness in my life. And, let's be honest--it's near impossible to write about relationships without being sentimental (to some degree). So, my writing lately has focused more on self-discovery and finding happiness, both for myself and others. My writing lately has been about sharing, about love, about the world around me.
    In any case, I love writing. I love creating. I love creating for others. It takes a certain level of transparency and confidence, but I do not see either of those changing anytime soon. And so, hopefully I can continue to create for my friends, my (two) enemies, and complete strangers for years to come.
    Keep reading.
    I'll keep writing.

    Contact Charlie Waddell via email or via his website.

    0 comments

    Post a Comment